|James Gemmell's grave, Sheridan Cemetery|
Courtesy of Bary Gammell
|Susan Maria Brown Gemmell, c. 1892|
Courtesy of Cathy Hall
About 1887, Maria left Sheridan, taking her younger unmarried children, Charlie, Andy, Virginia, Alice, John and George, and settled near Anaconda. At the end of 1894, believing that her health would be benefited, she returned to Sheridan and put herself under the treatment of Dr. George W. Rightenour, her family physician. She began to grow worse and sent for her daughter, Virginia Garrity, who remained with her to the time of her death. Maria died on Monday, Feb. 3, 1896, at her home on Water Street at age sixty-four.(6)
- From the prologue to David Attenborough’s film Gandhi.
- James Gemmell’s will, Probate records, Madison County Courthouse, Virginia City, Montana, File #25.
- Obituary of James Gemmell, Dillon Tribune, April 9, 1881.
- "Short history of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Walton Criss" ( including information on the Francelia Gammell family), Church History Library, MS 147774.
- Virginia Gemmell Garrity, Letter to Ralph Vary Chamberlin, 1922.
- Obituary of Susan Maria Gemmell, The Madisonian, Virginia City, Montana, Feb. 8, 1896.