- Gemmell, NY Plebeian, transcription, p. 2. Van Diemen’s Land is 26,383 square miles in area. The distance from north to south is about 226 miles, and from east to west about 190 miles. It is about the same size as Ireland, Switzerland or the state of West Virginia in the USA.
- A photo from a hill at Brown’s River overlooking the mouth of the Derwent River. See http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/cdview?pi=nla.pic-an23752610&referercode=cat
- Miller, pp. 286-87.
- Miller, pp. 286-88.
- Gemmell, NY Plebeian, transcription, p. 2.
- See Pybus, note #15, in Snow, part I: “In the history of Upper Canada only four civil prisoners were ever transported, including three on the Buffalo, which points to the extraordinary circumstances of the transportation of ninety-two political prisoners of whom 79 were US citizens.”
- Miller, pp. 288-89; Snow, part I.
- Miller pp. 286, 289-90.
- Miller, pp. 292-93.
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Brown’s River Convict Station