|Image courtesy of the Friends of the Sheridan Library|
|Map of Ruby Valley, Montana |
|Promontory Summit, Utah, May 10, 1869|
This iconic image captured by A.J. Russell is one
of the most famous photographs in American history.
from Deseret News archives
- Obituary of Virginia Gemmell Garrity, The Montana Standard, Butte, Montana, 8 January 1942.
- Carey, Dorothy Ellinghouse, Pioneer Trails and Trials, p. 468, Madison County History Association, 1976.
- Carey, Dorothy Ellinghouse, Pioneer Trails and Trials, p. 468. “The Pioneers,” Madison County History Association. Duncan, Elaine, ”An Adventurous Pioneer”, 1926. (The barn was demolished in 1913 by the new property owner E.D. Marsh.)
- Virginia Garrity’s letter to R.V. Chamberlin, 1922.
- Obituary of Mrs. Susan M. Gemmell, The Madisonian, 8 February 1896. p. 8.
- Deseret News, May 19, 1869.
- Jim Gemmell , letter to his sister, Jane, January 1, 1870.