Quitting the good city of old Manhatto, I duly arrived in New Bedford. It was a Saturday night in December …New Bedford has of late been gradually monopolizing the business of whaling, and though in this matter poor old Nantucket is now much behind her…. (Herman Melville, Moby Dick, chapter two, published 1851)
- Wheeler, William F. “The Late James Gemmell.” The crew’s quarters were located in the forecastle (in front of the mast,) and the officers’ quarters in the stern.
- Hughes, p. 122.
- New Bedford, nicknamed “The Whaling City,” was one of the most important whaling ports in the world during the nineteenth century.
- Hughes, p. 211.
- Wheeler, “The Late James Gemmell”.
- New York Herald Times and New York Daily Tribune, June 25, 1842.
- NY Plebeian, transcript, p. 10.
- Wait, p.144; Scott, p. 307.
- NY Plebeian, transcript, p. 4.